Four Lettermen Return To Cross Country Team Today

Parton, Pier, Woodard, and Schey Nucleus of Squad

Four returning veteran cross-country men, upon whom Coach Jaako Mikkola bases his hopes for a successful year, report for first practice today at Dillon Field House. The lettermen from last year's team are headed by Captain James Parton '34, and are as follows: Arthur S. Pier, Jr. '35, Charles F. Woodard '35, and John P. Scheu '35, Robert S. Playfair '36, who shone as the flashy captain of last year's Freshman team is expected to star on this year's varsity. The arrival of Alvin M. Josephy, Jr. '36, Leonard C. Leen '36, and Louis H. Orr Jr. '36, from last year's Freshman team has added balance to Coach Mikkola's squad.

Mikkola expects that this year's runners will do better than last year's inspite of the fact that he has no outstanding stars such as Arthur Foote '33. This is because the new squad will have the balance which was lacking last year.

All candidates will be given a chance to run Friday in the Holy Cross M. I. T. meet, October 6, and as the squad is never cut, everyone has a chance to be one of the ten to run in the meet against Yale and Princeton at New Haven on Monday, November 3. The annual IC4A Meet will be held ten days later in New York, Monday, November 13.