Students, Faculty Members May Meet to Swap Varied Ideas in Harvard Engineering Society

University Section To Hold Annual Fall Outing at Waltham Country Club on Tuesday, October 16

By Milton D. Rubin

The raisons-d'etre of the Harvard Engineering Society are several.

First, students and faculty men in various fields of engineering may meet and exchange ideas, and also hear men eminent in these fields discussing the latest advances in their branches. The backbone of our program thus consists of frequent addresses by practicing engineers. Men in physics and chemistry and often in economics and other fields will find our meetings interesting.

Second, engineering students have the opportunity of meeting socially and informally after the meetings (while eating refreshments). These social contacts are especially valuable to those graduate students who have just come to school here, and only expect to remain here a year.

In these days it is essential for engineers to be receptive to the various influences from technologies other than their own. They also find it important to realize the economic and other effects of engineering on our civilization.

The University Section of the Harvard Engineering Society will hold its annual fall outing, at the Waltham Country Club on Tuesday, October 16, in conjunction with the New England Section (Alumni) of the Harvard Engineering Society. On that date, engineering students and faculty members and students of former days will meet one another on the field and at the table. The outing is free to members. The meal will cost $1.25 to non-members.

In the spring, the Society will conduct an expedition through New England and eastern New York, visiting many of the factories and engineering projects in this part of the country.

The dues of the Harvard Engineering Society are $2.00 per year.