REVIEWS OF LUCE, WASHBURN GIVEN BY LIBERAL CLUB

Both Favor Government Control of Industry and Section 7a--Want an "Adequate" Navy

By The LIBERAL Club

Because of the importance of national issues, and because of the quality of the two congressional candidates from this district, Richard M. Russell '14, Mayor of Cambridge, and Robert Luce '82, the present Representative, the treatment of these two men will differ from that in previous reviews. No recommendations or estimates will be given; we suggest a vote on the issues, as both men appear to be capable.

1.Are you in favor of continuing the N.R.A policy of having industrialists govern national policies of business through their code authorities? Russell: Yes, if more effective power is given to consumer Luce: Yes, provided protection can be given small scale industry.

2.Both favor section 7a of the N.I.R.A., although Luce voted against the Act.

3.Russell favors government regulation of munitions exports and government production of munitions. Luce favors private production of munitions under some government regulation.

4.Russell favors federal control and regulation of monopolies and monopolistic utilities of national character. Luce against government competition with private capital; no operation of monopolies by federal government.

5.Russell for reciprocal tariff; Luce for protective.

6.Luce opposes present monetary policy; Russell thinks it "wise and necessary to restore livable internal price level and to revive foreign trade," is op-

posed to uncontrolled inflation.

7. Both feel federal government is encroaching on proper jurisdiction of state and local government. Russell thinks it was required by present emergency in view of demonstrated weakness of local units. He is for rebuilding local governments so they will not be dependent on the state, for clearing confusion of state and local jurisdiction. Luce had no suggestions as to what could be done.

Notes: Labor indorses Russell. Russell is more progressive, has a more efficient, more courteous, office and office force. Luce is standing on his record, evaded questions as much as possible. Russell gave written answers to all questions, Luce refused to put anything in writing