New Records

"Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"--Brunswick recording. The hit tune from "Roberta" has Ruth Etting as its latest booster. Purely vocal and quite sentimental. The backing is "Three Little Piggies Went To Market." A mistake that Miss Etting was bold enough to try.

"Zaz Zuh Zaz"--Victor recording. Cab Calloway shouts intermittently and the band races to the end; exhilarating Fox Trot. "I Learned About Love From Her" is on the bottom.

"Devil's Holiday"--Columbia recording. Benny Carter and his Harlem Orchestra try to find rhythm; stick to Calloway. "Symphony In Riffs" on the other side, and despite fancy title is dull.

"Oh The Pity Of It All"--Columbia recording. Enric Madriguera's polished orchestra has a very smooth and pleasing melody to work on. Helen Ward and Bub Burnch sing. The backing, "True" is good as a Fox Trot for dancing, but the tune is not very catchy.

"Wonder Bar"--Columbia recording. From the movie of the same name. Emil Coleman's orchestra gives the tune the proper sentimental treatment; it is much better than the Victor recording with Freddy Martin's orchestra which depends entirely on the too tricky booming bass effects. The backing is merely filler: "I Love Gardenias" from the "Palais Royal Revue."

"We'll All Go Riding On A Rainbow"--Brunswick, recorded in England. Ambrose's Embassy Club Orchestra trys a snappy spiritual Fox Trot with excellent results. Also "On A Steamer Coming Over," an insipid Fox Trot played by Ambrose's orchestra as if they were disgusted.

"You Ought To Be In Pictures"--Columbia recording. Little Jack Little and orchestra do well with this number. Vocal refrain by Jack Little, just a trifle gushing. Some excellent finger exercises by the pianist which fit beautifully. The backing is another Fox Trot, "Nothing But The Best."