UNNATURAL SELECTION

Next month, L. Bamberger & Co., merchants extraordinary, and purveyors by appointment to His Majesty the American Middle Class, will again break forth in a fit of generosity and furnish for baffled graduates a gala meeting to help them decide their life careers.

The first "Choosing-a-Career Conference" has as its stated purpose, the office of providing students, and more especially, recent graduates, the chance to hear leaders in every field expound on the qualifications necessary for their jobs. After the speeches, men who are interested may have a chat with the speakers.

The problem of choosing a career, however, is much more than knowing the requirements for certain positions. It is a two-fold problem. First of all, to be sure, the man must find out what the requirements are, but that information is not difficult acquire. The caused phase involves the discovery the discount of his own talents and a choice coinciding with them. The Choosing- a- Career Conference" provides admirably for the first part of the problem, but the more difficult second question is still left hanging in the air.

Johnson O'Connor, one of the more able of talent-testers, claims to have an influence over a man's choice in only one percent of the cases. The Conference can hardly claim more than that. But it offers an unusual opportunity to learn the requirements for all jobs from leaders in their fields. Self-analysis is still the more difficult job.