DIGEST BALLOTS MAILED TODAY TO ALL HARVARD MEN

Figures to be Compared With Those of 1932 Presidential Straw Vote When Hoover Led at Harvard

With the mailing of 8000 ballots to all the students in Harvard College and the Graduate Schools, the CRIMSON-Literary Digest poll on the Roosevelt "first year" is officially inaugurated today. The poll which is similar to the Digest's nationwide census of the Roosevelt policies, is conducted by the CRIMSON in connection with the Literary Digest in an effort to ascertain the true feeling at Harvard on the workings of the first year of the Roosevelt administration, which has just come to a close.

Results Published in Crimson

As soon as the results of the work come through they will be published in the CRIMSON along with further tabulation from the national figures of the Roosevelt poll. The country so far has gone very much for Roosevelt and it will be interesting to watch how Harvard, which was strongly for Hoover, in the CRIMSON'S 1932 straw vote will feel two years later. When the vote is published a comparative set of figures on the earlier straw vote will be printed in order that the two sets may be contrasted.

Interested in Reactions

The Literary Digest is exceedingly interested in the reactions of college men to the policies under which they will live in succeeding years and for this reason particular stress will be laid on the results.

In speaking of the type of question which the ballot contains the Digest says: "In framing the ballot, the Digest aimed at the utmost simplicity. Otherwise there was a danger of the ballot becoming a battleground of opinion on the various component elements of the New Deal, their merits and demerits in the minds of individual voters. Any consideration of details might have confused the balloters and obscured the purpose of the poll which was to distil, from a generous cross-section of the nation, a pure sample of American sentiment on the subject of the New Deal on the whole."