SULLIVAN THROWS OUT ATTORNEY FOR DEFENSE

TATEL BROUGHT UP AS FIRST WITNESS FOR DEFENSE

Daniel J. Burke, attorney for several of the defendants in the riot trial at Charlestown, which went into its second day yesterday was ordered out of the courtroom by Judge Charles S. Sullivan, presiding magistrate, at 11.58 yesterday morning when he tried to extract testimony from the police concerning the purpose of the demonstration last Thursday.

Judge Sullivan Incensed

Burke was in the process of examining the next to the last witness for the prosecution when his actions and questions so incensed Judge Sullivan that the magistrate ordered him to be removed from the courtroom and denied him the permission of continuing as an attorney for the defense. The removal of Burke from the defense left the case in a disorganized condition and Leon Lapin, one of the defendants was put in to handle the side of the defense.

Early in the afternoon, the defense began to present its case and the first witness to be put on the stand was Howard Tatel, one of the students from Technology who had been picked up during the demonstration.

Tatel testified that he had been brutally beaten when he was arrested and that he had been knocked unconscious several times during the course of the afternoon. His mother, Mrs. Tatel, took the stand and declared that when she visited her son, in the jail on the evening of Thursday, May 17 that his face had been beaten to a pulp.

A physician brought to the stand by the defense testified that when he had examined Tatel after his arrest that the youth had bruises under his arm and on his face.