BYRNES, HOLCOMBE, JAMES ROOSEVELT AT RALLY TONIGHT

Former Governor Channing Cox and Congressman J. Banks Kurtz Speak to Landon-Knox Club

Senator James F. Byrnes, James Roosevelt, and Arthur N. Holcombe '08, professor of Government, are scheduled to speak tonight to a Democratic rally in the New Lecture Hall at 8 o'clock.

The meeting is sponsored by the Harvard Democratic Club, and the presiding officer will be Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. '38. Also on the program to speak is William A. Kirstein '38, of the executive board of the Club.

Contact Man

Senator Byrnes is one of President Roosevelt's closest friends and is considered the White House contact man in the Senate. Several of the more important pieces of New Deal legislation have been put through the Senate under his personal supervision.

It is expected that James Roosevelt will make an answer to Governor Alfred M. Landon's statement on the Kansas school situation which was issued Saturday. In the statement the Governor attacked a "relative of the President" for giving rise to malicious "untruths" about Kansas schools. Advisors of the Governor said afterwards that he was referring to James Roosevelt.

Trace Jumper

Professor Holcombe, a lifelong Republican, who jumped the traces in 1932 and supported Roosevelt will explain why he still favors the President.

Tomorrow night the Republican Landon-Knox Club responds with a rally, also to be held in the New Lecture Hall, at which former Governor Channing Cox of Massachusetts, and Congressman J. Banks Kurtz of Pennsylvania will be the principal speakers.