Voters Snow Under New Parietal Law by Record Landslide Count

Even Bellboys, Long Used to Rule, Reject It by 12 to 1 Majority

Breaking all previous CRIMSON poll records House voters turned down the present Two-Women rule by the over-whelming majority of 1226 to 49. Voters who found the rule inconvenient outnumbered those who did not by almost as great a landslide 945 to 253.

Though return to the old rules was not advocated by too tremendous a majority, 792 to 433, voters rejected revision and standardization of these rules by 692 to 412. The Oxford card system found little favor as a method of revision, being snowed under by almost a 3 to 1 count.

Lowell House 12 to 1

Even Lowell House, home of the under-fire regulation requiring the presence of a second woman in a room where women guests are being entertained, disapproved of it by more than a 12 to 1 majority. The Bellboys tabulated 190 votes for returning to the old rules of the other houses to 27 against.

To Leverett House went the honor of piling up the largest landslide against the Two-Women rule. The Rabbits reacted from their "monasticism" of a few years ago and voted 157 to 1 for social freedom. The single vote in favor of the rule was obviously satiric, since the balloter stated on the back that he thought the law "just keen" and that it kept boys from the "awfulest trouble."

More Seriousness Than Humor

The polling was taken in great seriousness, as story after story was received about a girl shivering in the cold or rain until a "second" arrived. Many a lad told such hard luck stories as not being able to take piano lessons from a female teacher in his own abode or not being able to receive furniture from a spinster aunt who had driven many miles to bequeath it. A large number of people expressed their willingness to abide by stringent parietal rules if only the various house common rooms be open to females without registration.

A few saw ample opportunity for humor on the reverse side of their ballots. A Rabbit complained, "I do not like my girl's friends and my girl does not like my friends' girls." A Deacon objected to the red tape involved, stating, "I had to ask unknown woman to accompany us while getting junk upstairs."

Decrying the rule as "reminiscent of the late Teacher's Oath Bill Fascism," one Bellboy went on to say, "Most of the suites have more than one room, and you will find that two determined couples are just as effective as one."