School of Regional Planning to Close, Sufficient Funds Lacking

Started 1929; Only Independent Regional Planning Institute in Country

Instruction now being given under the School of Regional Planning, and the School itself, will be discontinued beginning next September, it was learned yesterday. The reason given for the abolition of this School is because "sufficient funds for adequate instruction are not available."

From the Treasurer's Report of last year it is estimated that the expenses of the School of Regional Planning, since February no longer a separate entity, out part of the Graduate School of Design, are approximately $40,000 a year. Apparently the sources from which this income was derived in past years no longer exists.

One man, Henry V. Hubbard '97, Charles Dyer Norton Professor of Regional Planning and Chairman of the School of Regional Planning, will be retained from the present faculty. Hubbard occupies a chair which was endowed by James F. Curtis '99 in 1929 and will remain to do research work.

Harvard's School of Regional Planning is the only independent professional school of planning thus far established. Courses are given in this subject by several other universities as part of their architectural school curriculum, but the Harvard school has occupied a unique position, due to its equipment and its greater degree of integration.