Bock Flays Social Disease Trick as Pretty Poor Wit

Cards Sent Out To Students Tell Them They Have Contracted Dread Disease

Perpetrators of a hoax against Freshmen involving illegal use of the Hygiene Department, were roundly scored last night by Arlie V. Bock, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Medicine, as carrying on a "pretty low form of humor."

Within the last few days post cards have been distributed to some Freshmen's mail boxes, informing them that the Hygiene Department had discovered that they had contracted one of the social diseases, and that they were to report to the Holyoke Street Building at a stated time.

Anyone at all acquainted with the Hygiene Department's methods of doing, Dr. Bock, said would know immediately that the whole thing was nothing but a form of joke on a par with the hoax last April when 1500 students stormed the New Lecture Hall to hear a "doctor" lecture on birth control. The announcement of this meeting had likewise been sent out on fradulent cards.

"What disturbes me about this thing," Dr. Bock said last night, "Is not so much the fact that they are using the name of the Hygiene Department, as the fact that this fear is being set up in the minds of Freshmen. I can't emphasize how bad a thing it is to do to fellows who are just geting adjusted to a new life at College. It's a pretty low form of humor."

Our method of handling all our relations with students, Dr. Bock continued is to carry on all relations as quietly and as unobtrusively as possible. The use of an open post card, with the reason for the requested appointment is a practice that the Hygiene Department never uses, he said. No diagnoses is ever listed on a letter asking a student to call.

It is believed likely that expulsion will be recommended for the perpetrators of this latest hoax if they are caught, as that was the procedure followed last year at the time of the birth control hoax.