OVER 400 LAW STUDENTS PROTEST COURT CHANGE

PROTEST WILL BE SENT TO SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE

Law students, to the number of over 400, have signed a petition protesting the enactment of President Roosevelt's legislation increasing the number of Supreme Court Justices to 15, it was learned Saturday.

The petition, which will probably be sent to the Judiciary Committee of the Senate and House of the National Congress, circulated during most of last week, and thus far has been confined to students only. No faculty members have signed yet, and the general attitude among the faculty has been to avoid all public comment.

The petition reads as follows: "We, the undersigned, members of the Harvard Law School, wish to convey our disapproval of the recent suggestion for increasing the membership of the Supreme Court of the United States. The precedent created by such action could only operate to partisan ends. We therefore urge the judiciary committee to report the proposed legislation unfavorably to the Senate."

Interest in the faculty's petition on the proposal was heightened when it was learned that Felix Frankfurter, Byrne Professor of Administrative Law, in an article written for the "Encyclopedia of Social Sciences" several years ago, took a decidedly unfavorable position on the question of increasing the membership of the Court.