TRACKMEN ARE DRILLING FOR QUADRANGULAR MEET

Greatly Improved Cornell Team Will Be Biggest Obstacle Ahead of This Year's Crimson

Final, intensive drilling is now under way on Soldiers Field as the Varsity track team prepares for its big meet of the Indoor season with Cornell, Dartmouth and Yale a week from Saturday. The competition will be held on the boards of the Garden track.

For the first time in years, the Crimson is expected to enter the meet as an underdog, with only a comparatively remote chance of retaining its title. Last year saw Jaakko Mikkola's men rolling to a victory with 40 points, five ahead of second place Cornell.

Eighteen events are included on the program ahead of the team captained by Bill Schmidt, including five field events of which the weight throw and the shot put will be decided in the afternoon at the Briggs cage.

From its great team of last year, the Crimson has but a small group of veterans to build a team around; but Mikkola a sure that "we will have a good team. We will be in there fighting in every meet."

Cornell will bring the team that will probably give Harvard the stiffest competition. The Big Red has an exceptional sprinter in sophomore Jim Ponder, while another second year man, John Nevius, is their outstanding quarter miler. Hamilton Hucker, 1935 IC4A and the present National A.A.U. low hurdles champion, is back to strongthen the team still further.