Adams passes Dazzle Deacons; Bellboys Sink Eliot

Deacons Go Down for First Loss 7-6; Bellboys Stage Comeback, Winning 6-3

Kirkland was dropped out of the House football lead by a giant-killing crowd of basketball players from Adams who slew the Deacons 7-6 by putting on the finest aerial attack ever seen in intra-mural football. The once-beaten, once tied 'Coasters completed pass after pass against a helpless Kirkland defense. Another surprise result, dimmed by the Deacon upset, was Lowell's last-ditch win over Eliot 6-3.

The first period began ominously for Adams when they fumbled after the kickoff on their own 20. The Coasters held Kirkland for which lasted throughout the whole first quarter. Slowly, Whitman's downs, however, in the first of a series of brilliant goal-line stands superb kicking brought Adams back to less dangerous territory, and then Adams began to assert itself.

For a while the teams battled on even terms, then suddenly just before the half, the Coasters gave Kirkland a preview of what they were going to get in the fourth quarter when Whitman slung a long pass to Bixby who was pulled down on the Deacon 8 yard stripe.

Foster Gets 4th

The third quarter was similar to the second, both elevens working the ball to around midfield and then kicking. In the final frame, Kirkland drove from the 50 yard line to the 35, and then Jack McClure completed a long heave to quarterback Don McSweeney to the 3. On the next play, Earl Foster scored his season's fourth touchdown. Schreiber's placement failed.

Kirkland kicked off to Adams. Here the 'Coasters, with Whitman flinging the ball to Bixby, Lucey, and Lewis, perforated the Deacon secondary, bringing the ball to pay dirt on a short toss to Lewis. The deciding point was made on the identical pass play from a fake place kick formation.

Lowell Wins First

The Lowell Bellboys scored their season's first touchdown midway in the fourth period to overcome a lead gained by Eliot a few minutes before when Dan Melia, chunky guard, booted a perfect placement from the Lowell 20 at an angle.

Eliot paved the way for its field goal on long line bucks by Don Brew, quarterback Johny Grant mixing them with a few passes. Lowell went into a seven man line with Eliot on its five, and tossed three Eliot running plays back to the 15. A penalty brought the ball back to the 20. Here Melia kicked the goal.

Lowell smashed straight down the field in the final quarter on long gains by Mel Gordon and Joe Lyford, carrying the pigskin to the Eliot three, where Norn Blotner took it over on a line back, riding in on guard Bud Call's back.