Dorm Men to Seek Position in Council

55 Petition for Appointment of Non-House Representative to 1939-40 Body

Fifty-five residents of Apley, Cleverly, Dudley, and Little last night petitioned the Student Council to ensure the inclusion of a dormitory resident on the 1939-40 Council in order "to make the Council a truly representative body."

The petition was circulated by the H. S. U. Yard Questions committee, under the chairmanship of William B. Schaliek '41.

Referring to the provision in the Council's constitution that the Council must include at least one man who is a non-House resident, but not a commuter, the petition asked that "if no dormitory member is elected to the Council in the coming election, such a member be appointed."

Richard H. Sullivan '39, president of the Council, announced last night that in February, on the recommendations of the Committee on Elections, the Council passed a resolution to the effect that the constitutional clause should be interpreted to provide for the appointment of a dormitory resident.

In the past two years, although the commuters have had a representative on the Council, the dormitory residents have not, since the clause requiring the appointment of one non-House man who was not a commuter has been interpreted to include club men and residents of the Varsity Club.

The constitution also provides that at least one commuter shall be included.