Crimson Cinders Blessed With One Of The Best Harvard Track Contingents

Ex-Trackmen Desire The Days When Crowds Turned Out For Contests

By Spencer Kiew

To snort at the present and sigh for the good old days in characteristics of track fans as well as the G. O. P. Bill Bingham, Penn Hallowell, Jack Seborer, Emile Dubiel, Milt Green, Norm Cabbera--these have become legendary figures in the annals of Harvard track. And there is no doubt that spectator interest in Crimson track teams has declined since the days when hundreds of athletes and thousands of fans annually poured into the Stadium to witness the country's college cinder classic--the I. C. 4-A meet.

This year only a handful of enthusiasts turned out to watch one of Harvard's great track teams. For it was one of Harvard's best track teams, despite the outcome of the Heptagonal meet which was the result of an inevitable letdown after the pitch reached against Yale the week before. Moreover Jackko's team loses so little horsepower by graduation that an even more brilliant season is in the cards for 1940.

On a hot May day in 1937 a lanky Sophomore with incredibly long legs cleared the cross-bar in the Dartmouth meet at six feet, three and a quarter inches for an all-time Harvard high jump record. Although he won against Yale this year and tied for first in the Heptagonal, Captain Bob Haydock has never again reached his peak.

Overshadowed by the brilliant performances of George Downing, Jim Lightbody, and Don Donahue, Haydock has nevertheless been a real leader, lastilling into his team the spirit of hard work that has made it one of the most willing squads Jaakko has ever handted. Track is a hard, grueling, year-round sport that only says off for a . But the alledged strength of this year's team is provided largely by the men who don't always place in the money.

Lightbody Has Brilliant Record

If a brilliant past means anything, Jim Lightbody will be a fitting successor to Haydock. Son of an Olympic runner, Lightbody broke his back in high school and seemed shut out of track for life. As a Freshman he had already overcome this handicap when he made the Oxford-Cambridge meet; for two years now he has been unbeatable over the 440 and 880 distances.

A few familiar faces will be missing when track operations start next year. Bob Gammons, Fred Ulen, Franny King (the game number two quarter-miler), Bob Haydock, Al Hanlon, Ros Brayton, and Fulton Cahners will have graduated. Chick Oldfather is transferring to No-breaks.

Their spiked shoes will not be impossible to fill, despite the fact that the Freshman team seems to have little to offer. Charley Smith, the Crimson's best sprinter, is only a Sophomore. Lightbody and Joe Donnelly, remain in the 440, and Lightbody and Rolla Compbell in the 880. The mile looks weak. But Ed Ford and possibly Tom Lacey will carry on for Cahners with the javelin, and Bob Partlow has repeatedly shown himself an able high-jumper.

And than there is a phalanx of talent returning in events not touched by graduation: Torby Macdonald in the 220; Gene Clark, Dave Simboll, and Bob Nichols in the two-mile; Don Donahue, Maze Fernald, and Roger Schafer in the hurdles; Partlow in the broad jump; Marshall MacIsaac and Steve Madey in the vault; Downing and Howle Mendel in the shot and Nat Heard in the discus; and Big Bill Shallow in the hammer throw.

Lightbody Has Brilliant Record