INDIANS DRUB CRIMSON SIX 8 TO 3 AT HANOVER

Captain Sullivan Leads Big Green to Victory in Second Period Scoring Splurge

By Donald Peddle

Clark Hodder's, Varsity hockey team all but fell apart in the second period of its clash with the Dartmouth Indians on Saturday morning and dropped an 8 to 3 decision on the natural ice of Davis rink before a capacity Carnival crowd.

After a scoreless first period, the Big Green sextet, paced by speedy Captain Dan Sullivan, manufactured five goals, four of them within eight minutes. In this canto, the Crimson defensemen were caught flat-footed on several occasions, twice permitting Sullivan to chalk up solo tallies while a mate was serving penalty time.

Freedley Has Off Day

In addition, goalie Vint Freedley did not do anything to prevent the game from becoming a rout. To blame him for the defeat would be foolish, but he failed to make anything more than routine stops, and his defensive sallies out from the net were often ill-advised. Sullivan made every one of his chances count, and the game was soon sewed up.

From then on, however, the Hoddermen showed flashes of the hockey of which they are capable. But even then, the attack did not function smoothly, indicating that this first taste of natural ice was not altogether enjoyable. Warren Winslow, George Duane, and Stacey Hulse brought the count up to 3 to 6; Indian goalie Lapres turned Back several other serious bids as Harvard forced the play continually.

In the last couple of minutes, with Hulse banished for board checking Soup Campbell, the Green pushed over their last two goals for the 8 to 3 victory. Those scores were virtual gifts, because the desperate Hoddermen had to forget, about defensive play.

Sullivan picked up five goals during the morning, four of them unassisted. The Indians, as a team, were unable to outskate Harvard, but they made the most of their superior stick-handling ability.