Three New Records Possible in Quad Track Meet at Garden

Individual Stars Promise Close Competition--Cornell Is Slight Favorite

By Paul I. Carp

Though the Quadrangular meet at the Boston Garden next Saturday will not include the heralded classic mile that added thrills to the other meets in the wooden saucer this winter, it is compensated for the loss of this one event thrill by a close, brilliant team competition.

Although Cornell's aggregation of track and field men is given a slight point advantage over Dartmouth for first place, there is not only a strong chance that the Indians may snatch the top honors, but also that either Harvard or Yale, whom the dopesters have relegated to a scramble for third, may sneak away with runner-up glory.

Lightbody Gunning For Record

The blue ribbon event of the night will be the 600 yard run in which Jim Lightbody will attempt to maintain his superiority, established when he set a new record of 1 minute 12.4 seconds last year. Dramatic interest will be added to the race because this will probably be the only time Lightbody will run alone in the intercollegiates in the indoor season; he will concentrate on the relays at the intercollegiates. As a fitting climax, Lighbody may break his own record at the meet. It is expected that Cornell's new Sophomore star, Ken Zeigler, Jim Ord of Yale, and either Dick Howard or Stafford King of Dartmouth will push the fair haired lad to a new low time.

Ritter Fast in Fifty

Larry Ritter of Dartmouth may sprint to a record in the 50 yard dash. He has done 9.7 in the 100 and Coach Harry Hillman says he is the best sprinter the New Hampshire hills have seen in ten years. Though Bob Owen of Yale and Paul Robinson of Cornell will be intent on scalping the Indian, Charlie Smith and Don Donahue may come in for part of the spoils.

Ritter will try to double in the 300 and will be pre meet favorite. Competition from Walter Zittel of Cornell and Art Madden, flashy second year man at Yale, may push him to a new record.

The 1000 yard and the two mile run are unsettled, although the Cornell entry of Phil Hoag, John Ayer, or Nat White will he favored. Penn Tuttle and Langdon Burwell, two strong distance men, will be Harvard's protection against an Ithaca washout.

Crimson Weightmen Strong

Fred West of Cornell will have to muster his best to retain his shot put crown in the Briggs Cage the afternoon of the meet against the Crimson coalition of Howle Mendel and George Downing. Bill Shallow will probably survive the assault on his 35 pound weight record which will be concerted by Warwick McCutheon of Cornell, and George Read of Yale.

Eli's brilliant Tom Lussen undoubtedly will break the pole vault record of 13 feet 6 inches set by Bill Harding of Yale in 1936. Dick Godfrey of Dartmouth, Steve Madey of Harvard, and Bob Randall of Cornell, 13 footers, will scramble for the other points.

'43 Attacks Exeter

Fresh from its victory over Andover last Saturday, the '43 track team is meeting Exeter today at Exeter. According to Coaches Bill Neufeld and Jaakko Mikkola, the Yardlings should have an undefeated team if they win today.