Veterinary Expert Tells Importance of Pet Feeding, Discipline, and Training

Describes Effects of Small Vitamin Content in Cheap Canned Foods

It is important not to let one's will "be completely subjugated by the cat's lordly indifference and disdain of all other foods offered it," claimed Dr. Gerry B. Schnelle at the Medical School yesterday.

Dr. Schnelle, who is on the staff of the Angell Memorial Animal Hospital, was delivering the seventh in the series of public health lectures sponsored by the Harvard Faculty of Medicine.

Pets are liable to develop a fondness for one particular thing, and "it is surprisingly easy to conquer this idiosyncrasy in the hospital, and very difficult at home, probably because the cat senses the worried attitude of those at home."

"Vitamins come in for special attention when sunshine is low." Vitamins D, A, and B-1 are very important to growth especially if "the dog belongs to one of the breads in which the bone development is great. Ulceration and skin disease are traceable to lack of vitamins."

Dogs may have small bones, contrary to popular opinion, but it is better if the animal has nothing pressing it to make it "defensively swallow a bone that is too large for the stomach in order to prevent some other dog, cat, or human from getting this choice morsel."

Worm capsules are condemned by Dr. Schuclle for popular use by pet owners, since the dog may not in the first place have worms; and because of the nature of the remedies, violent poisons in small doses. Similarly, he advises veterinarian treatment for distemper which is evidenced by "squinting, languidness, coughing, or vomiting."

Disease Due to Virus

"Infective enteritis is usually, epizooic at this time of the year," and like alcoholism "manifests itself by vomiting and great depression accompanied by an insatiable thirst. This disease is due to a virus, so your cat may contract it even though it never leaves your house or apartment."

He also told pet-owners about the type of toys they should not give to pets. "Rubber constitutes a very dangerous foreign substance."