Crimson Fleet Lives Up to Hopes by Sweeping Charles to Win Rowe Cup

Syracuse Steals Show, Fighting Off Tech to Take Second Place In Varsity Race

By Paul C. Sheeline and William W. Tyng

Topheavy favorites in the Varsity event, the Crimson fleet did more than just win that; it swept every race of the afternoon last Saturday on the Charles, bringing the Rowe Cup to Harvard again for the fourth time in as many years.

In spite of the flashing victories made by Crimson oarsmen, it was a valiant Syracuse varsity that stole the show on the river. After only eleven days of practice rowing together in the water, the Orange eight drove through to snatch second place honors from a strong M.I.T. crew by three-fifths of a second.

Fast, Close Race

The afternoon's rowing was very satisfactory from Harvard's point of view, because it showed that the Crimson is once more doing well for itself even though it did start late in the season. It was a success from the spectator's standpoint, too, because the races were close and fast over the placid Henley course.

The first race of the afternoon saw Bill Homans' Jayvee 150's step out way ahead of their M.I.T. adversaries and come home with a four length victory. Later in the afternoon, the Varsity Later in the afternoon, the Varsity 150's had a tougher time when they beat the Tech boat by a bare length. The competition was much keener, but Vince Bailey confidently stroked the Crimson oarsmen past the Engineers in the last quarter mile.

148 Still Undefeated

Harvey Love's Yardling eight met up with the best Engineer crew in many years, and nearly received an upset that would have dimmed the recent brilliant Freshman record. Tech caught them in the middle of the race, went a little ahead at the three-quarters. But Bus Curwen upped the stroke a trifle to a 36 at the bridge, and very slowly drew off to finish half a length away from fighting M.I.T.

The Jayvee race was perhaps the most exciting of the afternoon's thrilling program. Harvard's strong boatload, stroked by Colt Wagner, set off at a furious pace but found itself unable to get ahead of either Syracuse or M.I.T. until the final sprint.

The Varsity event, of course, was Harvard's right from the beginning. Leaving the stakeboats with a slow racing start, the smooth-rowing eight eased into the lead and kept drawing away from the Tech and Syracuse boats which were fighting for second place.