COUNCIL RESOLVE LASHES AT RUSSELL

Measure Has Only Moral Effect Against Harvard Appointment

While temporarily referred to the committee on rules, the Boston City Council's resolution condemning the appointment of Bertrand Russell appeared certain of passage at the next session of the Council on May 20th.

Since it will have no legal force the measure is merely a method by which the Council can air its views on the subject, it was admitted by Councillor James J. Goode of Roslindale.

Of the appointment he said, "It is unbelievable that Harvard University should see fit to put a man of the moral character of Bertrand Russell on its faculty and throw him in contact with the impressionable young men who have been sent to Harvard."

In this general view the Councillor was supported by Maurice I. Sullivan of Brighton and Philip Fish, both of whom spoke.

The views of the opposition based on current newspaper and magazine articles are most strong on Russell's doctrine of free love. None of the Councillors, however, claimed to have read any of the philosophical writings of the new Harvard lecturer. All the arguments therefore were of a very general character.