THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

On behalf of myself--and, I feel sure, of most, if not all of the other occupants of Holyoke House and Little House--I would like to call your attention to a thing which is absolutely detrimental and distracting to the members of the faculty and student body who have work to do in those buildings.

Almost every day at about eleven o'clock, the newsboys of a certain newspaper, so prolific in its issuance of "extras," take up their blatant, blathering cry that is so illustrative of the possibilities of distortion of "the King's English." Over and over and over, they blast out their unreliable headlines; over and over and over, until the monotony and noise would drive the most concentrative scholastic to utter distraction. And this continues for two hours or more.

I don't know what access Harvard University has to law in such a matter, but I would like to suggest that, if it is possible, newsboys be prohibited from selling their wares on Massachusetts Avenue from Dunster Street to Plympton Street, so that those engaged in research and scholastic pursuits in Holyoke and Little would be protected from such "public enemies." If they could not be kept out of this area, they could at least be made to keep moving.

I sincerely hope that through your editorial columns or otherwise, you will do something to remedy this problem. Very truly yours,   William H. Nicholls.