Capt. Godwin Talks on WAACs' Work, Duties

Work, No Glamour, She Tells Group of Navy Wives

In a meeting of the Naval Officers' Wives Club, Captain Godwin, head of all the Women's Auxiliary Army Corps camps in the First Service District, spoke describing the duties and work of the WAACs.

The Captain declared that being in the WAACs is hard work, and that any women who would join them merely because she thinks wearing a uniform is glamorous had better dispel these ideas from her mind.

After her six weeks of training she never felt she had earned anything as much as her Second Lieutenant's bars, she continued. The WAACs undergo the same basic training as the male members of the Army with the exception of the Manual of Arms.

The women do 600 different kinds of work, which includes everything but actual combat duty. The purpose of the WAAC is to free men for overseas duty, and if the goal of 150,000 is reached, it will mean that an amount of men the size of the American Expeditionary Force in North Africa has been freed to fight.

The Captain said that a training camp for the WAAC would be established at fort Devens sometime around the middle of April.

Children will be no problem to meeting Navy Wives from now on, as it was announced yesterday that arrangements have been completed for reasonably priced care for all children during meetings.

On Tuesdays, children over two years old will be cared for from 2 to 5 o'clock for 25 cents a child, with professional sitters in charge. On Thursdays, children of any age will be watched for the same period for only 10 cents, the difference in price being due to the smaller number expected at Thursday meetings.