Col. Doniat, PMS & T, to Leave For Manpower Commission Job

Col. Wood Named as New Head of Dept.

Colonel Francis A. Doniat, PMS&T at Harvard and leader of both the Quarter-master and Field Artillery R. O. T. C. units for a year has been transferred to special duty with the War Manpower Commission, and left yesterday for Washington, D. C. His successor here will be Colonel William S. Wood, at present commanding officer at Fort Ethan Allen, Vermont.

Little is known of Colonel Doniat's new position, except that he will proceed to Omaha, Nebraska, after a short stay in Washington, there to take over control of War Manpower activities for a large sector of the midwest. The post is a new kind for the Colonel, who has been in Field Artillery since his graduation from West Point in 1909, and he expects to find out more about it during his stay in the capital.

Saw Changes

Colonel Doniat's stay at Harvard saw important changes and developments in the R. O. T. C. units, with the Mil Sci courses changing from slighted subjects to ones which loomed large for all students. His headquarters, and the field Artillery unit regimental quarter moved from old Wadsworth House to Shannon Hall on Boyslton Street, and the QM Corps also became more closely integrated with general war plans. As he departs, plans are being completed for the absorption of the units into the Army Specialized Training Program in a short time.

While here, Colonel Doniat was especially interested in improving the spirit and cohesiveness of the R. O. T. C. as a whole, and was a firm supporter of such activities as the Muzzle Blast and battery parties.

Colonel Wood has been commander of Fort Ethan Allen, where Field Artillery R. O. T. C. men spent their summer drill periods until last year, when that part of the Mil Sci program was suspended for the duration. A graduate of Virginia Military Institute, he has the reputation of being a strict disciplinarian.