RATION BOOK OFFENSES MAY BRING ACTION

Men Turning in Books With Stamps Out "Being Noted"

Students who removed coupons covering future periods from their War Rations Book 1 and 2 before turning them in to the University may soon run up against OPA enforcement. This warning was issued over the weekend by officials of the regional OPA office in Boston, and by Aldrich Durant '08, business manager of the University.

Durant and "we are noting the fact that some books have been turned in with coupons not yet valid taken out." No action, however, has as yet been taken by the University on this violation of an OPA ruling, but Roy V. Perry, bursar of Harvard College, announced his department "may have to take action on the matter later."

80 per Cent of Books in

Meanwhile, Perry revealed, the surrending of ration books to the College has been progressing. A casual checkup on one of the House dining halls last week revealed that from 75 to 80 per cent of the books have already been turned in, with the remainder coming in slowly.

The Boston OPA office, moving to clarify the University's position with regards to men who have turned in incomplete books, declared that it is within the University's power to refuse to feed students with D, E, and F stamps missing from their books.

Far more serious for the offender than the possibility of missing a House meal, however, is the threat of an OPA-inspired court trial. If the attempt to get double rations" by holding back tickets is clearly "willfull and malicious," there is a strong possibility that the case may go to court, according to one OPA official.

In the event that the coupons were lost, stolen, or mutilated unintentionally, the offender can swear out an affadavit to that effect and not be liable for action.