Passing of Lt. McKee Ends 36 Years in Navy

Officer Served NROTC Unit Since Inception Here in '26

Thirty-six years of distinguished naval service, nearly half of which were spent at Harvard, ended last Friday with the passing of Lt. (jg) Erwin Alexander McKee, USN (Ret.). Known to every graduating class of Naval ROTC trainees since the Unit's founding in 1926, Lt. McKee served in various capacities under a series of Commanding Officers here.

Born and raised in Lowell, he enlisted in the "Old Navy" at the age of 22 on February 16, 1909. Yeoman 3/c rating came in September, 1910, and was followed by steady promotions until it was Chief Yeoman McKee on September 29, 1914.

Of his sea-duty, four and one-half years were sent on battleships, and another with destroyer tenders. Prominently listed in his service record is the venerable ship "Constellation," and he later had duty aboard the old "Virginia."

1918 Brings Commission

With the first World War, routine instruction duties gave way to other serv- ice, and an appointment as Ensign (PC) (T) was accepted in October, 1918. The following July 1 is listed for date of commission as Lt. (jg) in the Supply Corps. After two years more Lt. McKee was given an honorable discharge, but he soon re-enlisted and was rated CSK (PA) early in 1924.

Transferred to the Fleet Naval Reserve in 1925, McKee spent five civilian years before receiving assignment to active duty with the Harvard NROTC Unit, the first class of which was bout to graduate. In 1938, the Chief was placed on the retired list of the Navy, from which he was recalled to active duty on March 10, 1942.

Again serving with the staff of the professor of Naval Science and Tactics here, Chief McKee was in time to help with the commissioning of the classes which had entered during his retirement, and the general NavSci office was under his supervision.

On August 8, 1943, he was again appointed Lt. (jg), this time in the Line, USN (Ret.) and he filled out his service as capable administrative assistant to the Commanding Officer, whose command had expanded to include the numerous war-time training activities