Five-Run First Overpowers W.P.I. for Crimson Victory

Wallace Nails Fourth Win of Season, 10-2

Floyd Stahl's Varsity cohorts staged a five-run ambush of two Worcester pitchers in the first inning Saturday on Soldiers Field to insure Jack Wallae his fourth victory of the campaign against four defeats. His teammates garnered him five more runs before the end of the ninth, but the markers scored in the initial frame were more than enough to safeguard the 10 to 2 triumph.

In the wild opening jamboree, the Stahlmen bunched three walks, two errors, a passed ball, and singles by Arnie Closky and Ken Crumrine to punch across the five tallies.

Crimson Scores Again

After leadoff man Jack Forte opened the second inning by flying out to the second baseman, pitcher McCauley handed Art Conlon a free ticket to first and allowed him to advance to second on a wild pitch. Third sacker John Coppinger drew the second pass of the inning, and scored behind Conlon when Wallace unleashed a double to right field.

With the score 7 to 0 against them, the W.P.I. nine failed to draw blood against Wallace's four hit pitching until the fourth inning, when a base on balls and a two base error by Coppinger pushed a tally across.

The only other enemy marker came in the eighth on a walk and a three base series of misplays. Wallace finally retired the side single-handed with three strikeouts.

Harvard's final scoring spree came in the seventh inning and netted the home team three more runs. Wallace drew a pass to open the stanza and went down to second when Arnie Closky walked. Bill Ayres, Crimson right fielder, singled sharply to center to drive in Wallace with the victors' eighth run of the afternoon, sending Closky around to third.

Coach Stahl signalled his runners a double steal which Ayres and Closky executed with finesse. When the dust had cleared, Closky had scampered across the plate, and Ayres was perched on second. A wild pitch advanced him to third and he scored the Crimson's tenth and final run when Forte grounded out to the second baseman.

The Varsity will take the field tomorrow afternoon against Motor Torpedo Boat S.T.C. at Melville, Rhode Island.

The summary:

Innings:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9Harvard  5  2  0  0  0  0  3  0  x--10W.P.I.  0  0  0  1  0  0  0  1  0-