Eight Sheldon Fellows Get $9,200 in Stipends

Annual Awards Allow Graduate Study, Travel as Desired

Eight Sheldon travelling fellowships, totalling $9,200, have been awarded by the University for graduate study during the 1946-47 academic year, it was announced last night.

Allowing freedom to travel and study as the recipient chooses, the fellowships are among the highest academic honors awarded here. They were established in 1909 by the bequest of Mrs. Amey Richmond Sheldon in memory of her husband, a member of the class of 1842.

Awarded To Graduates

The winners of the fellowships are Bernard R. Bowren, Jr. 6G, of Berkeley, Calif., in American Civilization, Hugh H. Chapman, Jr. 4G, of Evansville, Ind., Romance Languages (for the summer of 1946), H. Theodore Dohrman G.Dv., of Compton, Calif., Divinity, and George E. Erickson 5G, of Palmer, Mass., Biology (for the summer of 1946).

They also include Robert H. Llewellyn 4G, of Hatboro, Pa., English, Hiram J. McLendon 4G, of Lakeland, Fla., Philosophy, Oreste F. Pucciani, instructor in Romance Languages in the same field, and Hylton A. Thomas 3G, of Woodstock, Ill., fine arts.