Weld Accents Importance of '48 Elections

Members of the Class of 1948 "are not electing just a class committee, but the most important permanent organization in the University," Edric A. Weld '46, president of the Student Council, warned last night.

The committee has many basic responsibilities now and in the future, Weld said. It is responsible for reunions, keeps contacts between members, puts out reports, and raises money for its own and University functions. It is the closest link between the alumni and the College.

"This committee has the additional duty of binding together a class which has never lived together or acted together to the extent that pre-war classes have," Weld continued. "'48 lacks the feeling of common tradition."

Weld Stresses Importance

Weld emphasized that "this is the Committee that will run affairs for the next 50 years," stressing that the great responsibilities and permanency of the committee make it particularly important that '48 classmen choose able leaders.

The Council has not yet decided voting procedure. While the '48 Nominating Committee prefers a straight numerical system, the Council-appointed Election Committee wants modified preferential voting, and the Council itself favors straight preferential voting. One method must be decided Monday night at the scheduled Council meeting.

The report of the Council's special committee on class affairs released this week but not yet considered by the Council advocates straight numerical voting.

No Balloting Date

As the nominations have not been sent to the printers, the Council has not set the balloting date. Results will be announced after mail as well as regular ballots have been tabulated.

Last night Thomas A. Masterson '48, head of the Election Committee, announced that seven candidates have been added by petition, bringing the final total to 42.

The men nominated by petition are: Jay Fialkow, Stanley J. Friedman, J. Anthony Lewis, Merton L. Madway, Alfred Miller, David B. Reed, and Daniel J. Silver.