Council Agrees to Refer Wheat Plan to Houses

Charities Suffer as Fund Lags by $9,000

Student Council members came out of a five-hour huddle at the stroke of midnight last night and announced that progress had been made on eleven separate fronts.

The longest session in Council history saw two major projects, the Service Fund drive and the poll on wheat conservation, fall short of their goals and the Council took immediate steps to prevent recurrence of the same problems in the future, salvaging what it could from the present.

Fund Drive Short

While results of the Service Fund drive were not completely tabulated, the campaign seemed certain to fall short by at least $9,000 of the $25,000 target. Even though further contributions were expected to dribble in to meet this exigency, the Council voted (1) to curtail sharply grants to charities, (2) to economize on projected Council work, and (3) to reduce the number of Harvard National Student Association delegates to the national convention at Madison, Wisconsin, next summer.

Voluntary Wheat Saving

To prevent future service fund difficulties, the Council voted to institute a regular, continuous, and partially self-perpetuating committee, on the order of the Community Fund organization, to handle future solicitations to the fund.

With an average student backing of about 65 percent for its specific wheat saving measures, the Council felt that the 1500 undergraduates voting were not sufficiently in favor of the proposals to warrant further Council stress. Voluntary saving, possibly, directed by individual House committees, was urged by the group.

Now Poll System

In addition, the Council voted to nullify future polling, procedure under the direction of its secretary. By making one man responsible for distribution, collection, and counting, the Council hoped to see a more efficient system.

The Council, noting recent College criticism of Parietal Rules, voted to appoint a committee at its next meeting to make a thorough investigation of the present House and Yard rules, with an eye to revision toward leniency.