Egg In Your Beer

Success Story

By Richard W. Wallach

Almost platitudinous has become the legend of the handicapped youth that makes good over all obstacles. Biographies of bank presidents, insurance company treasurers, and even Boston mayors are filed with barriers which only grit and raw courage could overcome.

But though oft-repeated is the tale, the success stories which have waded through the snags of time are often refreshing, and such is the case of varsity swimmer Forbes H. Norris, Jr.'49.

Norris, by the vote of the American Athletic Association last Saturday night in Omaha, Nebraska, is now the national long distance swimming champion of the United States. Some half dozen years age he was limping about in a cast in Richmond, Vs., with medical opinion divided on whether he would ever be anything but a cripple.

No division of opinion prevailed among the judges at Williams Lake, New York, last August, as Norris led the field of the best long distance performers on the continent in 1500 meters. A light wind made the water choppy, but the powerful armstroke developed in the Indoor Athletic Building tank over three years of grueling practice paid off.

Coach Hal Ulen has a knack of sifting talent in unpromising disguises. Before Forbes "Ted" Norris ever stepped into the shallow pool for a splash, Ulen had fashioned a two-year high scorer in '39 and '40 out of Eric Cutler, a victim of polio taking the aquatic form of treatment.

So it was strictly in Ulen tradition to spot Norris paddling along in one of the required exercise classes, and prevail over his protestations to come out for the varsity team. Last year's 440 yard ace, right behind top scorer Jerry German, figured he would be wasting his time. He could remember failing off a chimney scaffolding at the age of 12 and seriously damaging one leg. Two and a half years in casts and pulleys permanently shortened the limb, plaguing. Norris with a serious limp.

Some years later his father was appointed Superintendent of Schools in Worcester, and proximity and ability pointed Ted here.

Norris proved one of the best risks Coach Ulen ever had. In his Freshman year, when yearlings were still permitted varsity competition in 1945, he was undefeated in the 220 yard freestyle. Portentous of greater things to come was his showing in the NCAA, where he placed third in the 1500 meter event.

When the current swimming season officially opens this Saturday against the Greenwood Athletic Club, Norris will be a three year veteran. It might be his fate to trail German again, because he will probably be paired with him in the 440.

Norris takes a little more distance to warm up, but there's nobody around the pool these days, or any amateur natatorium for that matter, who could stop him with a few more laps added to the run.