Crimson Thwarts Bulldog in Home Yard As Invading Lowell, Adams Squads Win

Invading Quintet, Squash Team Snatch New Haven Contests; Elis Take Swim Meet Here

The Bulldog saw red Saturday afternoon, as the invading Crimson House champions from Lowell and Adams swept the New Haven end of the Harvard-Yale intramural hostilities, avenging the local defeat of the Lowell mermen.

It was 11 straight for the Lowell quintet, as they tripped Yale's Branford College 27 to 24, while the Gold Coast squash squad served up a 3 to 2 decision over the Branford entry. In the action at the blockhouse, the Bellboy mermen turned in their best times of the year in an attempt to complete the sweep, but the undermanned team lost the final relay, and with it the meet, to Pierson College of Yale, 29 to 19.

Lowell Works Zone

The basketball game saw Branford, sparked by "Wolf" Larson, overcome a 17 to 9 deficit at halftime to knot the count with six minutes to play. But the Bellboys' modified zone defense, which kept Mike Post or Dana Bresnahan on Larsen while placing the remaining four players in a diamond formation, broke the back of the Branford attack, and the Bellboys won going away.

Fred Donahue topped the Lowell scorers with nine points, while Walt Coulson and Paul Haskell contributed to the team play which gave Lowell the contest although outweighed and overtopped by the Branford five.

Squash Nip and Tuck

League "A" proved a better testing ground for squash contestants than the Yale inter-College tournament, as the five men of Adams squeezed out a story-book triumph over Branford.

While John Rogers and Al Alpern lost to Knox and Haviland of Yale by decisive scores, Breck Marshall, Corny Smith, and Ned Bothfeld each overcame a 2 to 1 deficit in their matches and captured the contest for the Crimson.

Pierson College turned the tables on the Lowell swimmers at the Indoor Athletic Building, and averted complete disaster for the Elis with a 29 to 19 win. Bob Goodspeed swam in three events for the seven-man Bellboy squad, and triumphed in both the 50-and 100-yard freestyles, touching out captain Al Pargelis of Pierson to win the latter event in 58.9 seconds.