New Course Catalogue Adds Breadth In Names, Richer Summer Selection

Economics Doubles Over Last Summer with Government, History, Acquiring Imports

With the accent on visiting professors, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences will offer a broader choice of courses this summer than it did during the 1946 summer term, particularly on middle and upper group levels.

The History Department, indicative of the overall trend, has named associate professor C. Vann Woodward, of Johns Hopkins University, to teach History 65 and History 5b. The former, entitled History of the South, has not been given since the war, and History 5b was not offered last summer.

In the other social sciences, the Economics Department has doubled its offerings in both middle and upper groups, and the Government Department will bring professors from Yale and the Universities of Minnesota and Virginia.

Few Basic Courses

With no high school graduates being admitted until the fall term and veteran Freshmen expected to be at a minimum, basic courses do not fill much space in the summer catalogue. Elementary language courses will be given, but students in search of science distribution credits will find no elementary courses in the Natural Sciences. In addition, Chemistry Aa has been replaced by Chemistry 2ab, an elementary but intensive course.

Like last summer, there will be no courses given in a number of fields. The most marked change in the catalogue falls in this category, with nothing being offered in Military Science, a field which was represented last summer by six courses. No music courses will be given, and a number of smaller departments, such as Comparative Philology, also take a complete vacation.