Athletic Participation Price Jumps $3 to Meet $177,000 '47-'48 HAA Budget Increase

Athletic participation tickets will cost students $10 beginning with the fall term, Carroll F. Getchell, of the H.A.A., disclosed yesterday, citing a $177,000 increase in the Association's budget for the coming year as the chief reason for the three-dollar rise.

At the same time, he gave assurances that season football tickets will still be priced at $15, and that other costs, including towel and locker fees, would remain unchanged.

The only football game for which ticket prices will rise is the out of town Yale game, where the tariff, Getchell said, will be $4.80 instead of last years even $4.00 This figure will be halved for those holding H.A.A. season tickets, which, he pointed out, does not include away games.

Expenses Increase

In explaining the participation ticket price rise, Getchell pointed to greatly increased labor costs as well as higher prices for materials used by the H.A.A. General maintenance costs he said, have risen from $19,000 to $31,000 over the past year while employees have been granted wage boosts amounting, on the average, to 11 cents an hour.

The opening of the Hemenway Gymnasium in the fall, he said, will also add to the operations bill, which last year came to $246,000.

The three dollar increase will mean about $30,000 more revenue for the H.A.A. during the two-year term, Getchell estimated. In the year just ended, better than 5,000 purchased participation tickets each term. About 4,000 of this number were undergraduates.

With Sophomores no longer required to participate in some athletic enterprise and veteran Freshmen also excused, there has been a smaller automatic demand for participation tickets.

Top Price: $4

Getchell also announced the price schedule for the seven-game home football schedule next fall. While season ticket holders will be admitted to all games for $15, single tickets will run to $4.00 for the Princeton and Dartmouth games, $3.00 for Holy Cross, Rutgers, and Brown, and $2.50 for Western Maryland and Boston University.

It will still be possible to exchange a single season ticket in order to secure two together, the extra coming at full rate.

Virginia, the only school to be played away from the Stadium except Yale, has set a $3.60 price on tickets for the Harvard contest, with season ticket holders getting the usual fifty percent reduction.