New Fog Engine Wet Blankets Oil Fires

Fire engine chasers will have a new engine to chase next Sunday when High Pressure Fog, Number 1 goes into service. Formerly used by the U. S. Navy, Cambridge's newest addition at Central Fire Headquarters opposite Mem Hall works best against oil and gasoline fires according to Fire Captain Timothy F. White.

Carrying two reels of 3/4 inch high pressure hose, the fog wagon can pump 60 gallons of water per minute through two gun type nozzles. "Turning disks inside the nozzles," White said "atomize the water and create a stream of fog which extends 20 feet." In especially close work the fireman can turn on a protective spray which provides a water shield. A five ton winch which can be used to pull down walls and for hauling cars out of rivers is another feature of the new engine.

Although the engine pumps water from the hydrant it can draw on its reserve tank of 435 gallons if necessary, White said. In either case the pump maintains a pressure of 600 lbs. per square inch at the nozzles.

White said that the truck manned by three men would answer all fires with the rescue truck under the command of Captain Daniel A. Walsh.