Weekend Sidelights

Dances, Clubs, Plays Give Varied Fare

By Jack Spratte

Fifty-seven thousand football fans can't be wrong. Something is happening in Cambridge this weekend.

But the spectator, whether starry-eyed undergraduate or ancient graduate, must do more than stagger to the Stadium tomorrow afternoon.

On the food front, the tally sheet shows a fine selection for the discriminating. The Locke Ober Cafe, although probably packed to the last table tomorrow night, is one of the best known of Boston dining places. If you care to climb a flight of stairs and push a bit for a good steak, Durgin Park is the place.

The best bock and German food can be found at Jake Wirth's. For lobster dinners, go to the Crimson Lobster House; while the Union Oyster House specializes in the whole gamut of seafood. Steak in all its forms can certainly be found at Lloyd's Steak House, and at Jim Cronin's. If you hanker for an after-dinner liqueur, the Oxford Grille has it; and maniacs who would walk a mile for fish and chips, go to Huck Finn's in Chelsea.

Finally, for those who end up about three in the morning with a dry feeling in their mouths, Chinatown will fix it with an Egg Foo Yung.

Five Informals

To keep one on the move, there are the House dances: Interchangeable ticket formals at Eliot and Winthrop tonight; and likewise Informals at Adams, Kirkland, Lowell, Leverett, and Dunster tomorrow, with intermission entertainment including the Whiffenpoofs, the Smithenpoofs, other singing groups, and a juggler or two. Tickets, of course, are running low.

Other night life, mostly in Boston, includes an immense number of "Rooms." For those who want a floor show with their drinks and music the Darbury Room is fairly cheap, and the Oval Room, with an "All-College Dance," is fairly expensive. For the collegiate atmosphere, with plenty of group singing, etc., the Fife and Drum Room is a good bet, while probably the lowest-priced in the whole field of dine-dance-drink is the Campus Room.

Near the top in below-ground joints is the Plaza Bar, moderate in price and crowded to the door. The intimate atmosphere is the stock-in-trade of the Bella Vista, which has no dancing.

Jazz at Savoy

Jazz is the feature at the Savoy, which offers Bob Wilber this week, for those who want to sit at little tables and strain their careerism. Tops in the out-on-the-highway-field are the Totem Pole and the Meadows.

A fine selection of plays is slightly marred by the fact that "turn-ins" will be the only tickets available in many cases. However, here is the pick. Harvey, the six-foot rabbit, holds forth at the Colonial, with the original Frank Fay in the part of the rabbit's friend.

At the Copley, Robert E. Sherwood's "The Road to Rome" involves funny business in the field of Rome and sex. "Finian's Rainbow," at the Shubert, is a sure bet musical if you can get the seats.

HDC's production of "Amphitryon 38" will satisfy people looking for a farce, with liberal doses of gods, swans, and Greek sex. Tickets for these productions can be obtained through the PBH Ticket Agency which operates over the phone and over the desk from 1:30 to 3 p.m.

'Mikado' in Color

For the quiet, undazzled group, the Boston movie-houses offer a number of acceptable shows. The D'Oyly Carte group has a technicolor version of "The Mikado" that does as well as a movie on Gilbert and Sullivan. Laurence Oliver's "Hamlet" is something not to be missed; seats are reserved, and must be arranged for beforehand. "Sorry, Wrong Number" features a hypochondriac Barbara Stanwyck and various unsavory additions of the great original radio play.

Another reserved-seat show is the fine English technicolor film, "The Red Shoes" which includes some of the longest ballet sequences ever shot. Finally, for the humorists, are "Miss Tatlock's Millions" as zany as it sounds and Danny Kaye's "A Song is Born"--all about jazz, with Kaye clowning as usual, and Virginia Mayo looking beautiful. Of course there's always the Old Howard.