'314' Yearbook Replaces Dead Album

Nascent Organization Plans Two Editions, Hopes to Publish Cheaper, Better Volume

The Class of 1950 will receive no Class Album; nor will '53 be buying the usual Freshman Register and Red Book this year. "314," covering this, Harvard's 314th year, and a revamped Freshman Register will replace the three lately deceased publications, George J. Feeney '50, Editor of '314," announced last night.

Presently undergoing its birth pangs, the 1953 Register is due for circulation in November. It contains individual pictures of the Freshmen, their biographies including current extra-curricular and curricular interests, and a pictorial feature evaluating the opportunities of the Freshman year.

"314," the yearbook is scheduled to beat the final spring exams in publication, two editions of the book appearing simultaneously, one for undergraduates and another for seniors. The undergraduate edition of "314" is 250 pages of evaluation and documentation of the year in the Houses and the Yard, and in the myriad extracurricular activities, organizations and sports.

Special Senior Edition

The Senior's "314" is intended to be a more permanent book. It carries individual pictures and biographies of every senior besides the contents of the undergraduate edition. Plans are that a more durable and expensive cover will wrap the edition.

Ideas for a yearbook and a re-designed Register put the squeeze on the ailing Class Album and the Red Book last spring. Since the war, Registers, Red Books, and Albums have crept hesitantly to the stands months or even years behind schedule, have lost money, and have been undersubscribed.

The 1946 Album is not out yet, and it is indefinite when it will be out. The 1949 Album lost its editor to resignation this summer and, manned by only three men and beset by bills, is now at a complete standstill until a new staff is lined up. Only the '47'48 Album of the postwar lot managed to print within a year of the graduation of its subscribers.

Change Tutorial In Spring

When the Student Council dropped the 1950 Album riddle in their laps last spring, ex-Editor Niki Arundel '50 and Assistant Editor Edward T. Kenyon '50 started shuffling the possibilities for a four-class yearbook publication. They organized a staff and sifted through information on yearbooks gleaned from other schools.

Simultaneously the Student Council polled the College in search of a solution. Both surveys machined through with the same answer, yearbook covering four classes for one year rather a Class book of one class for four years being the answer.

Triple Action Solution

If the Student Council and the "314" staff are correct, the new publications organization will be a three way panacea for the ills of the old Albums.

First, it is hoped that Harvard Yearbook Publications will be fecund. In drawing annually experienced seed from below, the organization should become continuous and self-perpetuating, regenerating its staff with executive members well versed in yearbook publishing from year to year. "314" hopes to relieve the College scene of late books executed by green editors.

Second, "314" seeks to take the financial burden of the Album off Class committees and the student body. Heretofore, the Senior, class of each succeeding year has had to meet the Album deficit both out of its Class Committee funds and by paying a high price for the book. By serving a larger student body, "314" intends to cut the price of the book per copy and to secure more advertising for the till because of its larger advertising market.

Thirdly, "314" is planned as a unifying force within the College. It will document each senior's career, and further, it hopes to serve as a review and evaluation of each year for every undergraduate. By so doing it seeks to elicit undergraduate support and interest as a secondary effect and thus again add to the strength of its staff.

The pageauation for "314" as drawn up by Feeney and the beard was an a skeleton pageanation to the two books nounced last night. And expanded House Section, treating the activities within each House individually, is the vehicle for recording and evaluating the College year for Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors. Also, an enlarged section dealing with undergraduate activities and organizations is designed to include everyone participating in the College's extra-curricular life.

Freshman activities, their athletics, smokers, dances organizations, and opinions will ride in a special Yard section. Considering the Register, which will be published before the old Register was due by two months, and the Yard section of "314," appearing before finals, Feeney hopes to give the Freshmen more coverage, earlier, plus acquainting them with the upper-classes under the new yearbook set up.

The staff will be competitive. Candidates will compete for from six to ten weeks and on the successful completion of their candidacy will be members of Harvard Yearbook Publications, responsible for "314" and for the Register. The executive competition for administrative posts on the publications will be open to members of Yearbook Publications. All elections are by the board.

Four Separate Departments

The competitions will be split four ways, into feature, art, photography, and business, and the executive competitions will be run along similar lines, according to Feeney. Freshman members of the board, excepting business board men, would probably work primarily on the Freshman section out of choice, but there is no strict limitation of Board members' activities in the organization.

Presently, the Executive of Harvard Publications are: George J. Feeney '50, Editor in Chief; Edward Tipton Kenyon '50, Managing Editor; Donald M. Landis '50, Business Manager; R. Johnson Shortlidge '50, Register Editor and Sports Editor; Edward B. Ayres '50, Activities and Organizations Editor; Thomas Holmquist '50, Biographies Editor; Andrew S. Kaufman '51, Assistant Business Manager; Geoffrey Groff-Smith '50, Photographic Manager; and David P. Lighthill '50, Feature Editor.