Everybody Up

So, after five months and two weeks of dire peril, the two crossed over the river and met together, the one unto the other; and there was a great multitude gathered there when the two reached the nearer bank of the river, which shouted aloud for the honor of the two contestants, that they had prevailed through sore injury and defeat, even through the heat of the middle west and the hostility of the tribes of Boston.

And the multitude marveled thereat, that the wise old ones who guided these two should have so prevailed with sage counsel and the clear head.

But there were dwelling among the multitudes some who favored the one contestant, some who favored the other; these harangued and spoke querulously to one another, maintaining the worthiness of their choices, so that the whole of the multitude seemed riven by this controversy, and within the space of but two days the sky was darkened by the gloomy clouds of faction.

And these clouds gathered, and by their darkness showed grave indeed might be the consequence, should the factions among the multitude prevail when the two contestants, each a champion himself, met on the field of challenge.

But there arose the oldest and wisest of the multitudes to speak, and he urged wise counsel indeed, saying:

Be of good cheer, my people, for it matters not which of these two shall prevail; for they are indeed one in courage, and in perseverance, and in The Will-to-Win; mighty are the skills, and crafty are their managers, even to the same degree; and where the one boasteth Page, the other hath Rickeys, even to the number of two.

So carp not, quoth the wise man; let not petty faction and bickering mar the happiness of this occasion; but rather gather to the radio and the television set, and witness in peace and harmony this meeting of the two great champions.