Reynolds Starts for Yanks In Opener Against Dodgers

By Andrew E. Norman

Allie Reynolds will start for the Yankers and either Preacher Roe or Don Newcombe for the Dodgers at 1 p.m. this afternoon as New York third inter-brought World Series in nine years begins in the Yankee Stadium.

Both the experts and the odds favor the Yankees. Although statistics give the Brooklyn club definite offensive superiority the American League champions have such men as Joe DiMaggio, Tommy Henrich, Phill Rizzuto, John Lindell, and Bill Johnson, who have won themselves reputations as clutch players, especially in the last two weeks.

But, above all, the 17 to 10 odds quoted by the Associated Press last night reflect the Yankees' clear-cut advantage over the Flock in pitching strength.

Manager Casey Stengel of the Yanks has three trustworthy starters and the best relief pitcher in baseball: Raschi, Reynolds, and Lopat, and Page.

Raschi Finished Strong

Burt Shotton has only two men he can start with confidence-- Rec and Newcombe--and seven behind them, of whom the best in none too steady.

Vic Raschi put the Yanks on top with a dozen quick wins before the arrival of his nemesis, mid-summer heat. He finished up the season strong, winning his twenty-first Sunday over the Red Sox in the game that gave the Yanks the flag; he completed 21 games, lost 10.

Allie Reynolds will start today, and start is just the word for it. With a 17-6 record, the ex-Indian completed only four games all year. But while he is good--usually for five to seven innings--he is as good as anybody.

Southpaw, 15-game winners Eddie Lopat (lost 10) and Tommy Byrne (lost 7) will probably pitch the third and fourth games. Lopat is cagey, Byrne fast, but both are erratic. Lopat was invaluable in the last weeks; Byrne's greatest contribution to the Yankees was in the first ten weeks of the season.

Page is Always Ready

Ready to follow these gentlemen to the mound in any or all games, lefty Joe Page won 13, lost eight, in a return to the form that gave the Yankees the 1947 world championship.

Manager Bert Shotton of Brooklyn had only two first-rate pitchers: Newcombe, 17-8, and Roe, 15-6.

Roe has just had the most successful season of his long career. He has been the Flock's stop pitcher, winning many of the most vital games of the year.

Masterful in picking the right sport to pitch to and then finding it; left handed Roe should be tougher on the Yanks than fast-balling right-hander Newcombe, who came up from Montreal in May to lead the Brooks in wins--17, complete games--19, shutout--5, and strikeouts--148.

Lefty Joe Hatten (18-8) may start game three on the basis of September form.

Ralph Branca (13-5) is a possible starter, as is Rex Barney (9-8). Branca opened the year well, faded fast; Barney has been a failure.

Jack Banta (10-6) and Carl Erskine (8-1) are the leading relief men. Banta won the pennant in relief in Philadelphia Sunday.