Scholarship, GE Funds Receive Class of '24 Gift

Corporation Allots $100,000 to Two 'Most Urgent" Needs; Choice Reflects New Policy

General Education and the college's scholarship fund will get a big financial boost from the Class of 1924's Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Gift, Provost Buck announced yesterday.

By vote of the Corporation, $50,000 of the donation will be used to establish the Class of 1924 Scholarship Fund, and the remainder, also in the neighborhood of $50,000, will go into a fund to pay the salaries of instructors in General Education. Provost Buck considered improvement of GE and enlargement of scholarship funds the "most urgent" needs of the College.

New Corporation Policy

The decision is in line with a Corporation vote of last Spring "to add to the endowment funds of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences all capital gifts received from Harvard College classes making donations on the occasion of their twenty-fifth anniversaries."

Last Spring's decision also stipulated that all gifts made by College classes after their twenty-fifth anniversaries would be used to meet current needs, and Provost Buck feels the new move is in the spirit of the policy established at that time.

GE Expanded

The creation of a fund specifically for General Education is the first separate financial recognition accorded the field. GE was expanded considerably last year, with prospects for making it compulsory for all students in a few years. Several faculty posts, including one professorship were established specifically for instruction in GE.

Previous donations from classes on their twenty-fifth anniversaries have gone into unrestricted University funds.