Vicious in Win over Scarlet

Charley Caldwell's Princeton eleven rolls into the Stadium Saturday with a team which after two frustrating losses to Penn and Cornell because it couldn't kick its extra points rose up and slammed mediocre Rutgers, 34 to 14, last Saturday.

The Tiger two-platoon squad employs a straight single wing offense, concentrating its ground attack on delayed hand-offs through tackle, and wide end sweeps. There is less spinning and faking than in the Valpey-styled single wing, but Princeton has the personnel to run off power plays and enough tricks to keep the opposition baffled.

Princeton ground out much of its yardage by faking an end run by wingback George Sella, who would hand-off to tailback Dick Kazmaier, who in turn knifed off tackle for about five yards at a clip. If the Rutgers secondary pulled in close to meet this play, Caldwell set a flanker to the left and sent Sella on an end sweep--one which clicked for 65 yards and the tie-breaking touchdown.

Kazmaier, a sophomore triple-threat, turned in the game's flashiest play on a fake pass. Taking the ball on a hand-off from the fullback, he spun towards the line, stopping quickly to fake a jump pass. Once the backer-ups had pulled back for the expected pass, Kazmaier took off for 15 yards outside the tackle.

Kazmaier Passes

This versatile tailback is also the Tiger passing attack. Specializing in 20 yard flings, Kazmaier completed nine out of 12 for a gain of 103 yards.

Caldwell has a pair of competent receivers in ends Bunnell and Emery, but Kazmaier's passes were usually hurled at the wingback or quarterback. The ends are employed to draw out the two defensive halfbacks, then either quarterback Chandler pulled a pass down in the middle or Sella sprinted down the sidelines for about 15 yards before turning for the ball. This pattern was run off like Harvard's Roche-Henry or Roche-Moffle passing series.

Princeton's blocking along the line of scrimmage was very potent against a heavier Rutgers line. Both Tiger halfbacks could rip off tackle without being touched before they reached the secondary. The center of the offensive line was not so impressive, but Princeton's pass protection was as tight as any seen in the Harvard Stadium this season.

Fine Blocking

The downfield blocking on end sweeps set up several Princeton scores. Both Sella and Kazmaier were able to pick up beautiful interference any time they skirted the ends. Downfield blocking on punt returns was rather spotty, but usually advanced the runner up to the 30.

Defensively the Tiger line, which the week before had throttled the Cornell attack, limited Rutgers to a net rushing total of 14 yards. The defensive ends usually broke up the interference so well that the runner was on his own soon after he reached the line of scrimmage.

Princeton's pass defense was not able to match its line and opened up enough to let the Rutgers ace passer, La Prairie, complete 12 of his 22 passes for 210 yards. Many of these passes were completed, however, during the second half, when Caldwell had his third string out on the field.

An ironic note of the whole slaughter was that in a game where the extra points meant nothing, Princeton's Frank Reichel booted four out of five.