Zilahy Death Was Accident, Police Probe Indicates

Cambridge police have completed their investigation of the gunshot death of Michal Zilahy '53 and are satisfied that the shooting of the Hungarlan-born scholarship student in the Indoor Athletic Building Monday was accidental.

The investigation, which was ordered by Dr. Michael A. Luongo, instructor in Legal Medicine, confirmed eyewitness reports that the rifle was discharged as Zilahy was adjusting its sling after shooting from a prone position.

Dean Bender said last night that the College plans no action and will definitely not place any curbs on shooting at the rifle range.

According to eyewitness reports, Zilahy had violated a range rule by not locking his safety before handling the gun. Bender said that the range was being operated correctly, and that there was no need for any action against it.

The Dean pointed out that this is the first time there has ever been an accident on the range, since proper precautions have always been taken.

Funeral services for Zilahy will be held at St. Paul's Church on Mount Auburn Street at 10 a.m. this morning.