Deans Discuss Fates of Rally Rioters Today

Bender Says Punishment of 24 May Range from Probation To Severance from College

The cases of the nine students who were arrested in Friday night's riot, and the 15 who lost their bursar's cards to the University police, will be considered at a meeting in Dean Bender's office at 2 p.m. today.

Dean Bender declined last night to state exactly what would happen to the students. Reports will be made to the Dean's Committee and its findings passed up to the administrative board, he said. "Decisions will depend entirely upon the seriousness of the individual cases."

The worst punishment that can be meted out in cases of this kind, according to Bender, is severance from the College. Unlike expulsion, this means that the men can be readmitted to Harvard. The least measure, he said, would probably be probation, although a few students may escape punishment completely.

Chief Alvin R. Randall of the University police has been called to the meeting to testify as to why the 15 students relinquished their cards to his officers.

"The boys were having a hell of a time," said Randall last night, "and didn't realize that it wasn't the idea of their having fun in the Square, but the obstructing of traffic, that the police objected to."

Randall stated that he did not feel that the riot was too serious, and that it could have been a good deal worse. "The reason it didn't get more out of hand," he said, "was that the Harvard boys we spoke to were pretty cooperative. I don't feel, however, that the Princeton students cooperated at all well."