Eliot Clinches Inter-House Football Crown With 21-0 Rout Over Adams

Three First Quarter Scores Insure Win, Dunster Loses, 32-0

Striking with deadly force three times in the first period, the Eliot House football team mixed speed and deception with a liberal amount of luck yesterday afternoon and defeated Adams, 21-0, to clinch the 1949 House football crown.

Winthrop House handed Dunster their seventh straight setback by a 32-0 count in the other afternoon game.

The Eliot "T" formation, working with the smoothness and craftiness that it had displayed in spurts throughout the year, appeared to be on its way toward racking up a new league scoring record in the first period.

Rossiter Scores

Receiving the opening kickoff deep in their own territory, Eliot started a down-field march which brought them to the Adams 32. With a fourth down and eight yards to go it appeared that their attack bad stalled, but a desperation pass, Jim Lowell to Major Close, clicked to the Adams six yard line. Jim Rossiter took the ball off tackle for the score and Lowell's conversion made the score seven to nothing.

Eliot struck again after they intercepted an Adams' pass on their own 48. A series of straight line plays brought the ball to the one yard stripe and Rossiter again bucked over. Lowell's second conversion boosted the total to 14 points.

Adams Unable to Score

Still unable to get their single wing moving, Adams was forced to kick shortly after receiving their second kickoff. Dick Cox picked up the loose ball and galloped 45 yards through the scattered Adams' secondary for the third score. The kick was again good and brought the score to the final 21 point total.

The Adams club took advantage of the first quarter time out to reorganize their defense, but the damage had already been done. A sustained drive in the late minutes of the final quarter was stopped on the Eliot 12 after Rog Davis and Wally Lubkeman had led the Adams attack from their own 27.

Hernberg Over Twice

Scoring twice, Frank Hernberg led the Winthrop House Puritans to their five-touchdown rout of Dunster. Hernberg tallied once on an intercepted pass and again on an off-tackle slant from the three. Two blocked kicks and a down-field drive accounted for Winthrop's other scores.

Tomorrow Kirkland will play Leverett, and Lowell will meet Dudley.