Slavic Interest

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The CRIMSON article of November 2 concerning the Slavic Society, while entertaining, did not develop the primary, educational explanation as to why the former Harvard Russian Club expanded this year into a philological "Slavic Society."

The Society's catering to "new blood" by reorganizing this fall under a new name and constitution really represents the growing demand for Slavic studies at Harvard. Until fairly recently, student interest in eastern European culture was focused mainly on Russian. But during the past two years, the Slavic Department, under the Chairmanship of Professor Karpovich, has expanded to become one of the centers of Slavic studies in the country. With the arrival this fall of two eminent scholars, Professor R. Jakobson--specialist in Slavic languages and civilization, and Dr. D. I. Cizovsky--distinguished for his work in Europe on philosophy and literature, the Department's program has been extended to include studies touching most of the Slavic nations. Correspondingly, the steadily increasing number of undergraduates and advanced students in eastern European courses required establishing this year a more inclusive Slavic Society. A. K. Oglobin '51   Pres., The Slavic Society