Law Forum Panel Criticizes Standards of Radio Industry

Strong criticism of radio was voiced last night at a Law School Forum on "What Is Wrong with American Radio?" Speakers attacked the industry for its overcommercialization, the low intellectual standards of its programs, and the smallness of its public service broadcasts.

An audience of over 500 at Cambridge High and Latin heard former Federal Communication Commission Chairman James L. Fly, LL.B. '26, writer-director Norman Corwin, and commentator Quincy Howe '21, emphasize the need for radio to change its ways.

Only commentator H. V. Kaltenborn '09 expressed real satisfaction with the present state of radio in the United States. He saw the industry as steadily improving today but urged the public to organize drives as means to improving still further the programs on the air.

Harvard Neglects Radio

In his talk Fly criticized Harvard and Yale for not paying any attention to radio. Later he elaborated on this point, explaining that he felt that universities should undertake extensive research into all the problems of radio.

Fly commented that radio has degraded our culture more than it has improved it. He attacked the major networks for trying to limit the local broadcasts of their affiliated stations, especially in the public service field.

Corwin described the airwaves as in a mediocre condition today. He laid the blame for this mainly on sponsors who rely too much on advertising agencies and agencies that depend too greatly on the rating system for deciding a program's success.

The industry, Corwin continued, prefers not to "wrestle with genius" but rather to use unspectacular programs. He added that a few large companies dominate the selection of the majority of shows.

Howe said the trouble with radio was that "too many people listen" and "too few pay the bills." The airwaves must avoid many important and controversial issues, he said because it must provide entertainment for "all the family."

Nothing is wrong with American radio, Kaltenborn insisted, that is not just as wrong with the whole country. He added that part of the public was materialistic, culturally immature, and so hungry for information that it would not wait for adequate confirmation of reports.

In discussing non-profit radio stations, Kaltenborn said that the Harvard Radio Network's programs were just as "wicked" as the professional stations, only probably not as well presented. He commented that men at the University probably preferred to listen to regular networks, rather than the local station.