Freshman Tennis Team Loses Tight Yale Match, 5-4

The freshman tennis team lost a heartbreaker yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field to the Yale freshmen. Playing the closest match of the season, the Yardlings were downed, 5 to 4.

Corey Wynn, coach of the team, had announced before the match that it would be a tight one. He couldn't have foreseen that practically every game and every set would be as hard-fought and long as it was.

Don Blackmer, number one singles player for most of the season and recently elected captain of the squad, found the competition much too difficult. He lost 6-2 and 6-4, almost the only low scores of the afternoon.

This was almost the story of the entire match with the exception of the number three doubles, which Aldrich and Marty Flug won handily, 6-4, 6-2. The other two doubles teams lost in close matches.

Singles--Swartz (Y), defeated Blackmer (H), 6-2, 6-4; Fischel (Y), defeated Aldrich (H), 0-6, 6-4, 6-3; Swanson (H), defeated Wood (Y), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4; Maxwell (Y), defeated Murphy (H), 6-4, 10-8; Thompson (H), defeated Keeley (Y), 2-6, 6-4, 6-4; Flug (H), defeated Brady (Y), 6-4, 6-3.

Doubles--Swartz and Fischel (Y), defeated Murphy and Peterson (H), 6-4, 9-7; Wood and Maxwell (Y), defeated Blackmer and Becker (H), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3; Aldrich and Flug (H), defeated Keeley and Brady (Y), 6-4, 6-2.