Jackson Outbats 'Cliffe, 21-9

A slugging Jackson College nine out-exercised Radcliffe's softball squad, 21 to 9, on the Annex Quad yesterday afternoon, in anything but a pitchers' duel.

Light rains and two seven-run spurts by Jackson dampened the home team's hopes. Bright spot of the day for the Annex came in the fourth inning, when pitcher Charlotte Coe sailed the ball into the driveway by the old willow tree for a homer, bringing in three runs. Jackson had already crossed home plate 13 times.

Captain Anne Burchsted came in for pitcher Coe at the top of the fifth and held the visitors down to one additional tally in the next two innings. Radcliffe made its final rally at the and of the sixth, running through the entire lineup for five runs.

Defense Collapses

It was 14 to 9 when the defense collapsed and Jackson had its second spree of the day in the seventh and final frame. The Annex found no help in the last lap and the game died, 21 to 9.

Free ice-cream cones went to the winners as the price of victory. The 'Cliffe team also elected Dianne Werts '51 captain for next season.

This afternoon the Annex lacrosse squad will cross sticks with Pembroke in a meet at Providence. Helen Duker '49 will captain the team in its first intercollegiate game of the season. The team consists largely of participants in club lacrosse and is not a varsity squad.