Three Held Up; Robbers Throw Senior in Charles

Police Think Same Trio Robbed Sophomore and 'Cliffe Date, Gerard Fisher, MIT Student

A Harvard student and his Radcliffe date were robbed on Harvard Observatory grounds at 11:45 p.m. last night by a band of three teenagers. Police believe the robbers are the same group that beat and robbed Gerard H. Fisher '49 and threw him unconscious into the Charles River early yesterday morning.

Fisher, who was discovered lying on the Cambridge shore at 5:45 a.m. yesterday, will be released from Stillman Infirmary in a few days. He was robbed of $13.

Stopped Them

Last night's Observatory hold-up, in which James H. Finkelstein '51 was robbed of $26 and a wristwatch valued at $50 while his date, Anne Gans '50 was unharmed, followed by 25 minutes a Garden Street robbery, also by three teen-agers, in which MIT student Malcolm Kurth had $4, a cigarette case, and two pens stolen from him.

Finkelstein was walking with Miss Gans on the Concord Avenue side of the Observatory grounds when the three youths stopped them and threatened to strike Finkelstein with a flashlight if he did not hand over his valuables.

A suspect whom police subsequently apprehended was released when Finkelstein was unable to identify him.

While they had no definite clues to go on, police believed that the same group pulled last night's holdups and yesterday morning's assault and robbery of Fisher.

Studied at Night

X-rays showed that Fisher suffered no fractured bones, no concussion, and no serious internal injuries, the Infirmary revealed.

Fisher told police yesterday that he decided to take a walk after studying in his Winthrop House room until after midnight. As he crossed the Weeks footbridge, he was hailed by a man on the Cambridge end. When he got near the man, two others sprang from the shadows beneath the bridge and assaulted him.

He momentarily regained consciousness just as he was being thrown into the river, he said, but does not remember swimming, fully clothed and with a raincoat on, to the Cambridge shore.

Only Hall Ashore

He was discovered at 5:45 a.m. by Warren A. Lewis '48, who heard his means and found him with his legs floating on the river.

Lewis summoned an MDC ambulance, which removed Fisher to Mt. Auburn Hospital. He was treated for shock, immersion, and cuts and bruises about the head and arms.

An hour later, around 7 a.m., he regained consciousness, identified himself, discovered his wallet and $13 were missing, and reported the robbery and assault to police. He was removed shortly thereafter to Stillman Infirmary