Swimming Squad Faces Dartmouth In Decisive Meet

By Andrew E. Norman

Harvard has a chance to work the biggest upset of the Eastern Swimming League season at Hanover this afternoon. Dartmouth is heavily favored to win by one to seven points.

Two facts make the Green the team to bet on: it is swimming in its own pool, and it beat Army, 40 to 35, last week. The Cadets edged Harvard, 42 to 33, in January.

The home team starts off with an automatic 12-point advantage--the 300-yard medley and 400-yard freestyle relays. The Crimson will have a monumental job making this up, but if every man comes through with his best swimming of the year, Harvard can win by as much as 41 to 34.

Fox, Berke Favored

Captain Joe Fox and Bob Berke should win the four freestyle races. Berke will have little trouble in the 220 and 440, and Fox has been doing better this year than Jock McIntyre in the 50 and 100. The Indian star, however, is sure of at least second in both sprints. Shep Brown in the 50 and Norm Watkins in the 100 will have to show peak form to take thirds, and Doug Kinney and Bob Tolf in the 220 and 440 to take seconds. The breaststroke is all Dartmouth; Harvard can get only third. The backstroke will go to the Crimson's John Steinhart, but Tom Woods will need his best to take second or third. Indian Dick Rogers will win the dive with Win Briggs of Harvard runner-up. Gordon Weir will fight it out for third.

The freshmen meet the Dartmouth yearlings on almost the same basis: Harvard beat Exeter, lost to Andover; Dartmouth beat Andover, lost to Exeter. The meet will follow the varsity engagement.